Saturday, January 30, 2010

End of London Week

So I have to do a few days at a time because I don't have regular internet access yet- but its all the same anyway ...

1/26/10

We met at Westminster Abbey and, because it was expensive to go in, went to St. Margaret’s Church because it was free. We took a boat ride to Greenwich. It was very nice- and even better- it was inside! We went to the Queen’s House and Naval Museum, which was done by Christopher Wren. It was a great building- good architecture. Next we took a hike over to a dance studio designed by Herzog and Demeuron- very modern, very awesome. The architect’s were trying out a new material for the facing of the building- and failed- but they gave it a go! Took a lunch break in town at a not so great Spanish Restaurant and walked up a giant hill to an observatory/museum. We stood on both sides of the Meridian Line there! Walked to Blackheath to see a housing development- very successful. Beautiful old brick, and great light and air. On our way back we walked UNDER the Thames and over to dinner near the metro because there was a possible bomb threat in the metro (?). The pizza was good though- and cheap! Back near the hostel we did our own mini pub crawl, but I ducked out early because I was tired.

1/27/10

Today we met at St. Paul's Cathedral, and walked up a LOT of steps to get to the top for some fabulous/grey London views. My legs were killing me- I need to start running more. Afterwards we walked around the area and rode a bus to see some more of the city in the warm. I have to admit I am not very good at dealing with the cold- I was semi-miserable all day. The only thing saving me was the fact that I was in LONDON!!. We stopped at Liverpool station for some lunch- we got cheap and yummy british meat pies. We walked some more then went to the national Portrait Gallery. Totally loved it! There was a Twiggy exhibit, and a display of a photography contest. DuPuy sprung and bought us tea and scones in the restaurant in the museum- it had great city views. We parted and I went with some people to walk through arcades- I'm doing a project on them- then we went off to Harrods. It was cool but kind of pretentious- I have to admit I loved the shoes :) A girl can dream. I b ought a marzipan shaped like a clementine- not a huge fan. AFter Jenny Sara and I went to our fav restaurant we found called 'The Other Side' and had an amazing meal. Bed early- another tiring day.

1/28/10

We met at a Liebskind building- very beautiful and sculptural but didn't fit into the urban fabric very well. We walked over to the Arsenal Arena where the local team plays Soccer (football). It was brand new and very awesome- they love their football over here. DuPuy said we might go to a game next time we come back to London. We metro-ed to the John Soane museum- absolutely LOVED it. His house was full of knick-knacks and he designed the house to have tons of nooks and crannies to fit as much sculpture and paintings as possible. AFter we went to the Tate Britain- another great museum. They had a Turner exhibit there that was to die for! I fell in love- he was an amazing artist. For lunch we ate at Wagamama's in Picadilly- yum! I had fried eggplant with rice and curry. After I went off to find more arcades and we all met up at Westminster Abbey at 5 for Evensong- beautiful. That night we went to a local young bar for some drinks and pool. Good last day in London.


1/29/10

We left London today!! :( we dragged our bags to the station where we piled into the car and drove 5 hours to Kiplin Hall. I slept a lot but I was still able to catch some amazing scenery- its sunny up here!! Kiplin is amazing- the kitchen re-model is fantastic. Very cute. We went to the grocery store to stock up on food- I love how cheap it in in the country! Set up my room and read til I fell asleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment